John L. Mariotti is the President/CEO & Founder of The Enterprise Group (www.mariotti.net), a coalition of time-shared executive advisors™ , which he founded in 1994. Mariotti has served as a Director on several corporate boards including World Kitchen, where he was formerly Chairman; Henkel Consumer Adhesives; Doskocil/Petmate; Levick Strategic Communications; Union Tools, and HomeCare Industries.
Prior to this John Mariotti was President of Rubbermaid Office Products Group (1992-1994), a multi-national group of nine divisions spanning North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia. Before joining Rubbermaid, Mariotti led Huffy Bicycles (1982-1992) as its President, to the preeminent position of industry leader and the world's largest bicycle company at the time. The Celina, OH factory where Huffy bicycles were then manufactured was the most productive in the world; known for its exemplary, high-involvement working relationship with the United Steel Worker union; and where it pioneered what is now known as Global Sourcing, TQM, Lean Production and Mass Customization.
Following his BSME from Bradley University and MSME from the University of Wisconsin, John began his career in the high tech world of electronics R&D. with Automatic Electric Laboratories, the research center of GTE's manufacturing arm. Mariotti's career shifted from design and development to operations when he joined L. R. Nelson Corporation. Where he held all the senior operations management responsibilities, and 1/3 of the company's sales to major OEM accounts and Sears. He then became V.P. Planning & Development where his responsibilities included acquisitions to help the company grow to 6 times its original size during his 12 years.
Mariotti has written nine business books and a novel.
- The Power of Partnerships, Blackwell, 1995
- The Shape Shifters—Continuous Change for Competitive Advantage, John Wiley, 1997, was selected by Management General as one of 1997's Top Ten Resources for Leaders, and also received its Innothink Award.
- Three books in Capstone’s Smart Things to Know series published by Capstone/Wiley—Smart Things to Know About Brands and Branding (1999), Smart Things to Know about Marketing (2000), and Smart Things to Know about Partnerships (2001).
- Two books in the ExpressExec series Marketing Express (2002 and Making Partnerships Work (2002), also published by Capstone/Wiley.
- He was a contributor to Business, the Ultimate Resource (Perseus 2003) and The Encyclopedia of Health Care Management (Sage Publications 2003).
- There have been recently issued new editions of Smart Marketing, Capstone/Wiley 2004 and Marketing Express also by Capstone/Wiley 2005.
- Mariotti’s book, The Complexity Crisis, was published by Adams Media’s Platinum Press in 2008 and named one of 2008’s Best Business Books. By Soundview Executive Summaries, and one of 2008’s Best for Small Businesses by Small Business Trends.
- Mariotti’s novel on cyber-terrorism, The Chinese Conspiracy was published in 2010 by iUniverse.
- Mariotti’s latest book is Roadmap to Profitable Growth, published by CreateSpace, division of amazon.com in 2012.
From 1995 to 2000, he was Management Columnist and Contributing Editor for IndustryWeek magazine, and moderator of its America's Best Plants Conferences, and since then has moderated panel discussions for National Conferences of the Association for Manufacturing Excellence. He has also written regular columns for the American Management Association, Management Centre Europe, Fortune Small Business and Netscape Netbusiness. During 2008-2009, his columns on complexity appeared in over 200 periodicals and publications. He currently writes periodic columns for Small Business Trends and for American Express Open Forum.
Since 2001 John as been writing and publishing a weekly newsletter: THE ENTERPRISE, and it now appears on a publicly available webblog: "Telling It Like It Is!." Mariotti also hosted the annual roundtable The Reunion Conference for 16 years.
Articles and interviews about his business successes have appeared in The Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Boardroom Reports/Bottom Line Business, Industry Week, Business Week, New Leaders, Executive Excellence, Personal Excellence, and many more publications. Mariotti has been a guest on CNBC's Today's Business and Power Lunch shows, a panelist on MSNBC’S Your Business, and his keynote speeches have been enjoyed by tens of thousands of people. Mariotti was also the host of his own 1-hour talk-radio show, "The Life of Business and the Business of Life" on the North American Broadcasting Network.